Saturday, June 16, 2007

Blogging and Rationalisation - A Defense Mechanism?

After posting my article on "Reality" yesterday, I went on to do a bit more research on the topic of "thinking" and I stumbled across this article on Wikipedia: Defense Mechanism that lists a number of defense concepts by the well known "father of psychoanalysis" Sigmund Freud.

It's certainly a good read and I soon got to parts called intellectualization and rationalisation. Putting it simply, intellectualization is described as follows:
Intellectualization is a 'flight into reason', where the person avoids uncomfortable emotions by focusing on facts and logic. The situation is treated as an interesting problem that engages the person on a rational basis, whilst the emotional aspects are completely ignored as being irrelevant.
And the method we do this is through rationalisation which is as follows:
Rationalization is the process of constructing a logical justification for a flawed decision, action or lack thereof that was originally arrived at through a different mental process.
The more I read, the more I realise how applicable it is to alot of my posts minus the total ignorance of my emotions of course. More so, it applies to a number of the "thinking" blogs out there doesn't it? We in our desire to ignore some of the painful emotions, tends to rationalise in order to escape the reality of our emotions no? How many blogs out there have you come across that you think follows this pattern (well, mine excluded haha)

Now I don't know alot about psychology, but I feel being able to at least rationalise is better than allowing the actual anxiety to come through. Of course, from these articles I also realise the foremost importance of allowing ones emotions to come through in order to move on. So I guess a conscious understanding of these principles is in fact useful for a person because once the person is able to acknowledge his or her emotions, he is able to then rationalise about how to move on.

Nonetheless, thinking is definitely interesting... It certainly allows us to discover more about ourselves and if you havn't realised already, I've added a Latin motto to my profile information:

Dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum. I doubt therefore I think; I think therefore I am.

8 comments:

Sayre said...

Wow - my Latin isn't as rusty as I thought. I got that one right away!

Amel's Realm said...

Yep, at least I've done my share of intellectualization as a self-defense mechanism. When I got to the bottom of my darkest moments, my brain took charge.

Having had a long-distance relationship also helped me learn how to freeze my heart partly. It sucked!!! It sucked when you wanted to give with all your might but then the person was too far from you. We had no choice but to freeze our hearts partly if we didn't want to fall into the deepest kind of depression.

I think it's best to have a balance between the heart and the brain. Even though sometimes the brain knows the logical answers, there are times where I have to let time heal the heart.

Michelle said...

Read Jung next. ;-)

Zhu said...

Cogito ergo sum... Ah Descartes ! Reminds me of my philosophy classes - they used to drive me crazy.

I guess I'm more of "do" rather than a "think". Europe is stuck right now partially because we have great theories but no one is brave enough to give it a try. I like North America best sometimes for this reason.

Deadpoolite said...

I am currently undergoing my "wackynization" period ... and yes I have copyright rights over that term, LOL.

It is an interesting game toying with words as you do and see what comes out from the blender of their interpretation (see I can write multisyllabic words as well, hooray for DP!heh). And one more thing, thinking rocks (that's what other people tell me anyway, I haven't practised this extreme sport in a good long while...lol)

Till next time take care!

Jeff said...

I am not a big believer in Freud, but I do know that he had SOME relevent positions.

To a normal human being, I see no problem with intellectualism. I don't think anyone but a psychopath can not feel emotion. Intellectualism rightly disregards emotion to get through a crisis. Emotions can only lie to the individual. It is also what John Forbes Nash ("Beautiful Mind") engaged in to have somewhat a normal and productive life.

Shan said...

mmm

Sayre: Glad you got it :)

Amel: Indeed... You often understand what I say the best.. It is good to find a right balance and acknowledge both otherwise it would be dangerous. read what jeff wrote, it's interesting.

Mich: I will, he sounds very interesting.

Zhu: I wish I had philosophy classes in Perth. All our classes is like pathetic.. thats what we get for going to poor public schools with no money...

Deadpoolite: lol, your ability to simply ooze out your thoughts is something terribly amazing...

Jeff: Of course, the guy definitely has faced much criticism for some of his wackey theories. And of course, he has had his share of credit. I guess what I tried to say in my post was that it's important to acknowledge your emotions in any situation before rationalisation because unless you acknowledge them, you can't move on.

Jeff said...

I agree what you said about acknowledging emotion before RATIONALIZATION. Intellectualism is different. Rationalisation tries to justify a position that you WANT to take because of your emotions. Intellectualism doesn't allow you to take a position at all before you objectively analyze it. At least that is where I am coming from.