Sunday, June 17, 2007

Middle Eastern Wars - My Thoughts and A Prayer

Well, I woke up today aiming to get some studying done. So I began my normal routine, brushing teeth and washing face then having some breakfast. Then I turned on the TV and went into the Chinese channel Phoenix. Guess what I saw? Yeah you'll probably have guessed it from my heading, the current ongoing conflict between Hamas and Fatah.

So here I am, sitting on my couch watching these Hamas dudes in Gaza wearing balaclavas and holding Kalashnikovs in their hands, some on top of roofs with their green flag, some near checkpoints searching through people's clothes. Then suddenly, the TV changes and starts to feature these Fatah guys in West Bank, wearing their military uniforms also holding AK's and assorted arms looking around frantically.


So I began to think. The Middle East certainly has had a long and cruel history starting off hundreds of years back. Fast forward to the present, it is still ongoing but the target has changed from their "arch enemy" Israel towards themselves... In the past few weeks, statistics estimate (I dare say conservatively) 110 dead and much more wounded in the fight between Hamas and Fatah.



Now looking at Lebanon and their crisis with Syria... Another MP and useful life gone and it looks like there's gonna be a tit for tat revenge killings. Then we have Iraq and Afghanistan - God, I have no idea what the heck is going on but all I know is that more people are going to die.

The current Middle East situation reminds me very much of the Russian and especially the Chinese civil wars. Back in the 1930's, on one hand, we have the Communists fighting to try and liberate the Chinese from the Japanese and on the other, we have the Kuomintang fighting the Communists while also trying to "fight" the Japanese. Now I know this may be a biased point of view but it is what I believe after reading much history books. But the point is that in both wars, we had foreign powers intervening and supporting one group and this is exactly whats happening with Fatah and Hamas.

I mean for fucks sake, these two groups are fanatical enough already without the US, Russians and other Arab nations stepping in and adding more fuel to the situation. I mean I totally appreciate the soldiers for what they do (the ultimate sacrifice - Salute!) but the political agenda behind them is what I really fear. As for the groups themselves, I mean come on, you religious zealots, no matter how much crazy shit you guys can come up with, what do you ultimately want? Land for your people? Food? Security? For God's sake, "destroying" Israel is not going to bring you either and declaring Jihad on everything you see is not either (nor is killing your brothers in arms). The only solution forward is to negotiate. I know this sounds easy from my point of view but what other solution is there? I guess only time will start this process and meanwhile, I only fear for the innocent men, woman and children standing in the lines of fire... More so, I pity the "freedom fighters"...

The Chinese Civil War ended after 23 years with millions dead... My heart truly pains at this figure and thinking of the current crises in the Middle East, my heart pains even more. I can only hope for these crises to end earlier so that the innocents will be able to enjoy their lives... My heartfelt prayers and wishes are with those in distress...

11 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

The best answer is in Thomas Friedman's article "What A Mess" published on June 6 (2007), Pg 23, New York times. No one said it better than my all-time-favorite Mr. Friedman.

Michelle said...

Very well said, Shan.

If only people would stop, think, and say. "This is stupid, we need a better way to sort out our differences than destroying each other and our planet."

I'll add my prayer for that hope.

Deadpoolite said...

This is a neverending conflict because certain high stakes from "third party countries" need it to be. As for passing judgement (I am talking in general terms not specifically for Shan) it is all easy and well when we do it from the comfort of our homes, typing in the words we like on our high end PC, a mug of coffee on our right hand etc etc. How on earth can I rationalize on an issue like this and put fancy labels on people like "bloody fanatics" when I havent remotely been in a situation like they have been (Palestinians essentially people without the country that is historically theirs and Israelis living in fear that each waking moment in their city is going to be their last...). Sure sure we can see things as outside observers and say "they could have done this" and "it is easy why the f... dont they do this" but truth be told as long as this issue is an issue of worldwide importance and power balance and not an issue of two nations and their differences, there is never going to be a resolution. At least not in the foreseeable future...sad but true...

Just realized i made a comment without cracking a single failed joke... it must be my ancient greek heritage of great philosophers and rhetors taking over my body (oh man I just blew it didnt I...lol)

Talk to ya later!

choc mint girl said...

Yes. I just don’t get it what are they trying to prove? Power? Religion? Stupidity? There’s nothing much we can do but hope and pray there would be an end to this whole thing, which eventually lead to freedom to the poor people who’ve become the victims at their own lands......

Amel's Realm said...

I can only say: Sigh...I think as long as humans exist, there'll always be wars.

Julius said...

The problem with this conflict is that there is really a lot of money involved. You got like a very big Pro-Israel lobby in the USA and there is a lot of money from the EU for the Palestinian Government.

It strange that you have like two governments for one small county. One by Hamas in the Gaza-region and one by Fatah in the Western Jordan Bank. My geuss is that Israel would made an agreement with Fatah and completly destroy the Gaza )region. Nobody (sad for the people I geuss) will stop Israel when going after Hamas i fear.

BTW: the real mother hen could you post the article by friedman, not so easy to find in Europe.

Shan said...

Real Mother Hen: mmm nice, never heard of it :) If you could put an excerpt here for me and Julius, that'll be nice.

Mich: Thanks for the prayer. But read what deadpoolite wrote, very good.

deadpoolite: My Greek buddy, again, you said it well. Very very well put. I totally concur. It is very easy for us to say what we say in front of the safety of our computers but in reality, the conflict embodies more than the interests of the Palestinian people. I just hope in time, things will improve because right now, it's just fucked..

choc mint girl: Have a read of deadpoolite's comment, it's very good.

Julius: I think you are absolutely right. Then I think of what deadpoolite wrote and I think otherwise lol...

Michelle said...

Deadpoolite was spot on!


Shan
I've tagged you for 8 random facts about yourself. :-)

http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2007/06/8-random-facts-about-me.html

Shan said...

Oooo tag time lol

will do :d

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, Shan,

Can you ping Technorati? I've been trying but it's still not working. GRRR!!!

Shan said...

Will do Amel :) It does seem your blog isn't getting updated...