Tuesday, June 5, 2007

What Kind of Atheist Are You?

Recently, I found an interesting quiz from the The Atheist Diaries.

Let's not get touchy now, I have absolutely nothing against religion and I believe in fact religion is needed to keep our world from going insane. Different people have different views and I respect yours so I hope you will respect mine.

Anyway, after doing this test, I ended up being a Agnostic Atheist haha. Look below for what it is. Anyway, if you are interested, do a test and have some fun. Leave a comment about what you scored!

However, you should note this interesting article about the Forer effect. The Forer effect also known as subjective evaluation shows that people tend to accept generalised descriptions of their personalities without realising that the same evaluation could apply to nearly anyone else, because people want the results to be true. This experiment is frequently cited as criticisms of other personality tests, like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. This Forer effect applies to astrological readings like clairvoyance and tarot so just be careful of what you see because it's not necessarily true. In fact, it can negatively impact your own lives.

=======================================================


You scored as Agnostic, Agnostics consider the possibility that they may be wrong about God's existence, no matter which side of the fence they stand on. Always willing to objectively evaluate the most ridiculous proof, nevertheless, these guys are skeptics of the Nth degree.

Agnostic


75%

Apathetic Atheist


58%

Scientific Atheist


50%

Spiritual Atheist


50%

Militant Atheist


33%

Theist


33%

Angry Atheist


33%

What kind of atheist are you?
created with QuizFarm.com

7 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting, I came up with spiritual athiest. "They concentrate on making the world a better place and know that death is just another part of life. What comes after, comes after." This sounds like me. Agnostic is interesting too, is that you?

I think religion is an ancient form of controlling growing populations while politics is a modern form of the same thing. Religion of the "Vicar of Dibly" kind I could feel quite at home living with in the same universe. But that's a fiction, yeh. I try to be tolerant of other people's beliefs but I have come to view religion as an abberation. Then there's fundamentalism which is frightening stuff. Regardless of which creed, I think that's a backward step which takes a society towards tribalism and ignorance.

Shan said...

mmm Pat, you're from my uni?

But very interesting view. Yeah, I scored Agnostic.

Form of control, mmm, very enlightening. I understand your belief especially religious zealots, they frighten me and pretty much everyone in this world.

But normal religion isn't necessarily a control method, perhaps it's a sign of hope for others? People draw on the strength and energy and allow them to persevere. This is voluntary I guess so it's not truly control.

But what you have said makes sense and it reminds me of the work by Karl Mark and his famous words "Religion is the opiate of the masses". I think he said somewhere that religion was something that forced people to endure their sufferings no matter how harsh... haha...

Thanks for your comment!

Zhu said...

I have to do the test... I'm an atheist as well, not because I hate religion, but because I just don't believe.

Here in North America I find people pretty religious. I can't walk in the street without bumping into the Chruch of Jesus of the New Testament of the God of the Best blabalabla (yes, I did made that up). Not only people believe in something that doesn't exist but they hate each other for not believing the same ?

Wow, I just don't get it.

Amel's Realm said...

I scored as a Theist.

Shan said...

Zhu: haha, yes, it gets kinda weird when people walk up to you and hand you these flyers. There is so much of those here in Western Australia. Most of them are either those Fa Lun Gong or Jehovah's Witnesses..

But why they conflict often goes back in history - 95% of the people who you ask about the existing tensions in the Middle East between the Arab nations and Israel would have absolutely no idea. It's a long story going back into the days of Mohammed and the City of Medina, Ottoman Turks and World War 1 & 2.

True, very crazy sometimes. BTW, thanks for posting, I see you know Mandarin.. I look forward to reading your blog!

Amel - What does your description say?

Amel's Realm said...

Uuuh...I didn't save it, but it said something about, "So you're a Theist. I bet you knew already that you're a theist. What're you doing here then?"

Something like that. LOL!!!!!!

Nycnontheist said...

As founder of "The Atheist Diaries" I was very pleased, Shan, that you posted the "What Kind Of Atheist Are You Quiz?" posted by my colleage Mathyoo.

I wanted to let you and everybody else know that we now have an e-mail subscription link and a subscriber feed link. So everyone is welcome to come on over to "The Atheist Diaries" http://theatheistdiaries.blogspot.com and sign-up.

Shan, I'm so glad I found your site, because I saw your 2 comments sent to me on e-mails, and I couldn't think how to find you, so finally today I searched back and just pressed your name on one of those comments and it did indeed bring me here, whoosh!!

And I'm going to subscribe to your e-mail while I'm here.

See ya sweetie,

-Valerie