Sunday, August 19, 2007

Surprise!

Ahhh, neglected haha.

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who has been checking my blog. I know it's been a while but things have been a bit too much in the past 2 weeks. I have been visiting everyone's blogs from various locations and they have been interesting!

So, a bit of update of my life. University is settling down and so is the jobs. And yeah, that is pretty much it hahaha.

But let's move onto something I recently began to think of and that's the Y generation and their ability to plan. Well, ability to plan is not exactly what I was thinking but let me explain a bit further.

I was recently have a chat with a friend at university just before a lecture about his business and the plans for his future. He is 26, has a fast food business in China and his wife is having their first child on the weekend (Good luck!). As I was talking to him, we eventually moved onto what I planned for my future. When I outlined a very rough one to him, he surprised me by saying how nice it is to see someone so young to have a such plan.

My first initial reaction was "no, he is flattering me way too much - what a good ego stroker". But he outlined why he thought so and I then began to think of my conversations with a number of young people - which somewhat confirmed what he said:

Young people today has no plans for their future. They are not ambitious enough, content with a secure job and fairly good pay and then ultimately partying.

Of course, I am not saying partying is a bad thing since "enjoy life" is my motto but when you are between the age of 18 to 25, this is where everything begins. If you do not start to plan and work hard to allow those plans to become reality, in time, you'll realise how your youth has been wasted on activities that proved to be absolutely non-essential to your future. In other words, you will regret it. Or maybe it's just me, I am not content with what I have and I kind of get bored with things after a while. I need new and exciting things... My attention span is too low...

You know, sometimes, as I walk through the city of Perth at the nights (or even during the days), I see these bums and I feel this surge of sympathy and fear. Sympathy because I feel sorry for them and fear because I don't want to become them.

Of course, I could just lay back, find a decent job, take out a mortgage, get married and then support the wife and the house for the next 20 years. But somehow, I just don't think I can do that. My personality doesn't quite lend itself to such ideals. While all of us want to do that in some ways, when I see successful people with good clothes and cars and jewelery, I kind of feel inadequate and in another way regret. Regret because if I don't take advantage of opportunities arising for me or don't create opportunities for myself, then I will never be able to do that.

Moreover, for those of you who remember some of my first blogs, I intend to treat my future wife like a queen but to do that, I need the dough hahaha!

Ok, I feel I have nagged enough and reassured myself enough lol... So moving onto a lighter note, let's talk about jade.

Recently, I have developed a sudden fascination with jade, or rather, high quality jade. I have heard from people top quality jade are able to transform when worn with a person for a while. It's lines adapt to the body when worn over time. If anyone knows how or where to buy one, feel free to leave a comment :)

I will endeavour to make more posts each week!

Best wishes and enjoy life everyone!

12 comments:

princess said...

See if you can get your hands on this book called "The Stone of Heaven: The secret history of imperial green jade" by Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clark. It's a very good book and I think you'd find it quite interesting.

There are two types of jade: nephrite and jadite. Jadite is rarer and more valuable and most jadite comes from burma. High quality jade is distinguished by its deep colour and transparity.

Jade is my favourite stone, I actually have quite a bit of jade but I only wear my bangle. I've noticed that my bangle has changed colour since I got it so it but not significantly. I don't think you can get good jade here in Perth. Hong Kong is the best place to buy jade I've heard, otherwise most asian countries sell some good jade. I inherited most of mine so I'm lucky hehehe.

If you want any more information you know where to find me.

Amel's Realm said...

Yeah, my parents bought or got a jade stone decades ago...and over the decades, even though Mom didn't wear it, it changed colour to a darker shade of green. It used to be very palish green. Mom told me that only married women are "allowed" to wear jade stones. For some reason there's a superstitious belief that it'll bring "luck" to unmarried girls who wear jade stones. Dunno about that!!!

When it comes to having goals and making plans...I think they ARE important, but I never feel any regrets when I see rich and wealthy people. Why? Because it doesn't guarantee happiness. The grass is always greener over there, but we don't really know what problems richness brings. Some people's lives may look SO glamorous and fun, but we don't know what price they've paid in order to have all that.

Don't get me wrong, though. I HAVE NOTHING against setting up goals and making plans. Humans should try to achieve a better kind of life and I bet our parents wish the same thing for us, too. However, I've found that contentment comes from the inside, not from the outside.

Besides, I've also found that life has surprising ways for us...sometimes our plans don't go as planned...sometimes in a better (surprising) way, sometimes in a worse (still surprising) way...but we learn to cope with everything.

So, keep on setting up goals and planning and be enthusiastic, but don't try to find contentment elsewhere. Don't say to yourself, "I'll be truly happy if I have this and that and if I've achieved this and that..." That'll be the death of you in the long run as it IS addictive to keep on setting up new goals to achieve BEFORE you can be content.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to gain as much as you can. By all means, while young, reach as many stars as you can, but beware of the addiction he he he...

OK this is long enough he he...

Paper Fan Club said...

I think it's funny when some folks rant "today's young people have no plan for the future." That's probably what people once said about them. As in every generation, there are those who are ambitious leaders, those who are hard workers, and those who prefer to be slackers.

Zhu said...

Of course, I could just lay back, find a decent job, take out a mortgage, get married and then support the wife and the house for the next 20 years. But somehow, I just don't think I can do that. My personality doesn't quite lend itself to such ideals.

I can totally understand... I feel the same way (although I'm married !). I still can't fit in this kind of life, and the thought of buying a house is just scaring. Weird eh ?

I just don't have plans right now. I found a nice country to live in, that was the first step. Then, who knows ? I like teaching, so I like my job. But I don't like the office life and unfortunately, that's what I'm doing right now, the teaching side of my job seem to fade away...

Jeff said...

Good post, but I don't see a tag. ;)

Max said...

Hi Shan!

It's been a while, huh?
Match Point: definitely a must, man!!!! I've watched it 3 times already! It is a good example of human behaviour: disatisfaction, greed, jealousy, ambition...the whole lot :)!

Today's post:

I am glad things are ok at Uni :)!

I totally get you when you say that young-people make no plans for the future! Most people I know, between 25-30, think of nothing else but partying! It's shameful...and then they get mad at me cause I don't go out anymore (yeah, I used to party a lot); but excuse me if I want to make something out of my life, and actually be someone!!!! I am not getting younger *nodding*!
I agree with your friend: one must be ambitions! I am ambitious, within a certain extend (I refuse to step on people toes to reach my goals...I take it easy, and I know I'll get there)!

Partying is good. However, as everything in life, it has its own time!

Treating your wife as a queen is essential; but it isn't only shown through financial means...I think your behaviour is more important: making her feel that she's the most important being in your life. That you would drop everything for her (even if you don't, cause you can't leave your job every time she calls for you lol; however she must feel like you would)!

Jade...I love jade! I have jade bracelets! Here in Portugal you can buy jade in any gemstone shop! Have you tried a jewelry store (in case you don't have any gemstone shops...which I doubt it)?

Cheers!

Amel's Realm said...

Max's right about hubby-wife thingie. My hubby's not rich and you know that I married him while he was unemployed. I did it 'coz I knew how well he'd treat me. All the money in the world can't "beat" that he he he...a hubby who knows how to treat her woman right he he he...

Shan said...

Princess: Thanks for the very detailed information. I'm just interested in a pendant that I can wear around my neck.

Amel: Jade is a quite interesting stone. In China, there's also a belief that the stone will ward off evil. As for the bringing luck to unmarried girls, I am not that sure.

Haha, I understand what you're trying to say. Of course, money won't bring me happiness, only enjoyment can. But like they say, money sure gives life a smoother road.

I'll try my best not to earn money for the sake of earning money.

PFC: I am a total slacker haha. I just like money though :P P.S. You writing is very good!

Zhu: Oh, I never knew you were married. But teaching is fun. I've always liked teaching people. It allows me to learn things that I may have not learnt otherwise.

Jeff: Haha, I'll get around to that.. one day :P

Max: I'll have to watch that then haha, such a high recommendation. Besides, it's Scarlett Johanson :P

Indeed, ambition is important but so is setting down the foundation necessary to achieve that foundation. I really need to work on the latter I think. Just that I seem to suck at time management lol... I'm such a slacker.

But you're right like Amel, money is not essential to make someone happy, behaviour is definitely more important.

As for jade, I might go back to China during the Olympics and go to a specialty store. Money's not a problem for me, as long as the quality is there.

Thanks!

Amel's Realm said...

Go back to China? When? YIIIPPPIIIIEEEE!!!!

Deadpoolite said...

It seems you have mutated into a man of immense ambition and meticulous planning (yeah right... I am not sold to your clean up act dude, just yet, lol).

Anyway, good thing to have a longterm plan of sorts. A word of advice though: If you really want something to happen always keep your eyes on the longterm goal. There are a lot of hardships and detours to be encountered and be taken respectively. Do not be phased if the "trophy goal" seems out of reach at times. As long as you maintain your focus and be patient and persistent you ' ll be fine:)

You know it is sickening sometimes how I spat out words of advice like that, like some C-list Yoda wannabe ha,ha,ha!

Anyway, good to read you are doing ok and you know by now I am sure that whenever you blog I am never too far away (creepy...lol).

Take care Shan!

P.S. I had commented before on this post but supernatural forces of sorts devoured my previous comment. Ah.... the eternal internet mishaps stroke me down again...Dont you just hate those suckers:) Later!

Shan said...

Amel: Yep, Beijing, China in 2008... Possibly haha

DP: Welcome back! It's good to see you again you mutant weirdo lol

Haha, I've always been a extremely meticulous person. Organisation has always been a strong point of me so don't you forget :D

But advice, I love advice from everyone because things are always clear from a 3rd perspective. Looking forward to some news posts from you!

Amel's Realm said...

Wish you a WONDERFUL trip then, wherever you go, Shan! ;-D May you find the jade you're after! ;-D