Saturday, January 19, 2008

In Memory of Fischer



Alas, the world has seen the passing away of another "larger than life" individual. This time, it's the famous or some would like to call him, infamous chess master, Robert James Fischer - AKA Bobby Fischer.

If you are unfamiliar with the game, I suggest you browse google or wikipedia, it's a delightful game to learn.

Chess has always been a hobby of mine since I was a kid. I've always been fascinated by strategy games; how one person can manipulate an entire scenario to his or her own will and "out-strat" your opponent.

The passing of Fischer is a shame truly. It can be said that he was a man who brought Chess to the world scene. Whatever he has done in the Chess arena whether it was good or bad, influenced the game. Now I don't care about his personal issues, I'm only saying about everything he has achieved in the game. The controversies he has generated whether they are good or bad doesn't matter, the fact that he generated controversy helped Chess to have a foot-hold among world sports.

If you have read an article by CNN, the former world champion Kasparov is said to have commented as following on Fischer's death: "The tragedy is that he left this world too early, and his extravagant life and scandalous statements did not contribute to the popularity of chess," former champion Kasparov told The Associated Press."

This really pissed me off. I am going to direct my future comments at Kasparov and pretend he is reading this.

"You, sir, are an idiot. Provided what you have written is true, you are not only an idiot but a fool and a moron who may be good at chess but lacks foresight at many other things. My respect for you have reduced to pretty much nil. Your games are crap, have no style and are simply boring. Your reign as world champion didn't bring that much to the chess world either so stfu. I'm glad you got your ass kicked by Putin because Russia may not need or want a western democracy as preached by you so you should take your dumb ass self and go somewhere, like for example the compost dump because you are history and while I enjoy reading history, have a very disdainful regard for losers in history."


Ok, now that I have vented my anger, time to re-direct my energy back to Fischer. I don't care whether he is American or anti-semitic, that's his own belief. I do care about his genius and the fact the game owes alot to him. All great people have faults, no one is perfect and so it should remain. Now that he has passed, his legacy as one of the world best and most controversial chess characters will no doubtly be immortalised. Like the formula China used on Chairman Mao, let's just say he was 70% correct and 30% wrong.

Rest in peace Mr. Fischer. Rest well in knowing that you have left you footprint on this world and you have done something useful for humanity.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Shan

Nice seeing you back around the blogs.

I taught my cousin chess when I was 15 and he beat me the first game... and every other game. He went on to be high school chess champion. At least I can brag I started his "career", but I never liked the game as much after that. :-P lol

sad to read about Fischer. Nice write up you did for him.

Amel's Realm said...

Hi hi hi hi hi...you'd love my Dad, then. He LOVES chess. He used to participate in local chess championships (small ones) he he he he...

Anyway, got an award for you:

You Cheer Me Up Award

Zhu said...

You should read a book called "the chess player" by Stephan Sweig. Classical book in Europe, pretty short. Great story...

Shan said...

Hi Mich: Thanks for the comment, it's good to be back :D

I was compelled to write that...

Amel: Haha, I always appreciate someone who knows the game. Thanks for the award hehe.

Zhu: I bet you were at a loss at what you had to write? But thanks for the comment :D

Arvind said...

Thanks for your insight into Fischer - and Kasparov for that matter.

I love chess and got addicted when I was at school - I went on to set up and captain the school team and played for my university. Now I just play the odd game with a friend.

Max said...

Hey Shan,

Interesting post.
Mr. Fischer was a confused Jewish man, who later turned against his own people, and that was extremely sad.

Mr. Kasparov is a man who defends democracy (a different form of democracy practiced in Russia today). He wouldn't have mind to read your message to him, cause he defends the kind of freedom of speech you are exercising here, in your blog.

Mr. Fischer might have had great skills in chess playing, but he was an idiot; just like anyone who utters hate words towards any people, religion, race, gender and nationality.

It was quite interesting to read your views, Shan.

Cheers

Shan said...

Arvind: Thanks for the visit. I hoped my little google suggestion was helpful :)

ANd it's always good to hear from a fellow chess player :D

Max: Indeed, your points are correct. He was certainly a chess genius and it is very much a tragedy that he became what he was in later life but then again none of us are perfect.

As for Kasparov, I also agree with your point that he was defending democracy indeed. I am all for democracy and that when you mentioned the fact he is defending the kind of democracy that I am utilising now made me think and agree with you very very much.

Of course, the kind of democracy in Western nations are truly valuable and very much beneficial. However, the key point I would like to raise is that Russia nor China for that matter are prepared for the kind of democracy we enjoy. The ingrained mindset does not truly lend itself to such kind of democracy. Hence, I am truly for democratic activists because they prevent a total slide into totalitarianism but they shouldn't except to impose western democracy as it really won't work. We've seen that in Vietnam, Russia and of course Iraq.

Furthermore, they should not lend themselves to use their publicity to criticize someone such as Fischer who has done more for Chess than Kasparov ever did.

I am also really tempted to see what changes a man such as Kasparov can really do for Russia if he does get into power.... Would he give democracy or would he just use the power and give a form of his own democracy?

Thanks alot for your precious comments, you never fail to make me think Max :D

Max said...

Dear Shan,

Interesting question: "what changes a man such as Kasparov can really do for Russia if he does get into power...(...)?"
I can't answer this question for we have often seen what the opposition does when it gets hold of power (for example look at Robert Mugabe: he trashed white people because they were exploring the people, they colonised Zimbabwe etc etc...but when he reached the top he disgraced his own people and country). But if Kasparov does have the chance to win, I hope he can change Russia...

You are correct democracy has to be adjusted to cultural factors. But Russia and China's model is not even an adjusted type of democracy...I mean, people don't have the freedom to read whichever sites they want in China, they can't speak freely against the government, only a few can act freely and possess freely; and only a few rule: this is not democracy, this is is oligarchy (disguised as democracy). And the same occurs in Russia.
The people must vote, and know that their vote will count for something. Presently people vote knowing that the same party will always win...what is that?
We can't allow ourselves to believe that the Chinese and Russians want this type of democracy for they don't!

Shan, you are an amazing young man, thanks for this small debate *bowing*!

Cheers