Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Point of Suicide?

Recently, I watched an interesting film called "Someone Special". It had a particular scene in it where a woman walks in front of a coming car and is killed by the collision. The scene suddenly slows with the woman suspended in the air (after being hit) and a bystander who also wants to die having a conversation before she dies. He asks her: "What's it like? Is it worth it?" She says: "Now that I've done it, no, I don't think so..."

Please note the previous sentence was subject to my distortion.

But the point I'm trying to make is that we take things for granted too much these days especially with our lives. Too often someone becomes depressed and tries to commit suicide.

At this point, I'd like to ask you a question: "What if you have successfully committed suicide and then suddenly felt regret - that you didn't want to die and that you still wanted to live despite how much you wanted to die?"

So what do you do then? Well, I guess the answer is simple. You can't do anything, you just die. You die with one of life's major regret hanging over your soon-to-cease-functioning brain.

Perhaps, it's only through dying that we truly appreciate the beauty of living. But I sincerely hope that no one comes to this conclusion the moment before they are about to die, especially through suicide.

I guess in a cost-benefit analysis, it's simply not worth it.

7 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

Interesting post as usual, Shan. ;-D We're all "dying" in a way IMO 'coz we'll never know when we're going to die. And death surely makes life more meaningful for me since it means we only have a limited time on earth to make a difference and to fulfill our tasks. :-))))

Zhu said...

I like life too much anyway ;)

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, Shan, I've written down a post concerning "being happy". Looking forward to getting your tips on being happy he he he...

Here's the link:

Happiness Revisited

V said...

hmm well i agree with what you said, but i think those who're driven to suicide must've lost the ability to think coherently, like, they can't understand the A is to B is to C logic anymore. These people need someone (like you) to stop them and show how to think coherently. Um yea I don't think there's a point to suicide to begin with =)

Max said...

Hello Shan,

It is not worth it: suicide! If people only knew the amount of troubles it llures into their karmic cycle...they wouldn't even think about it!

Life is too precious, man! Life is a gift that should never be tossed to the sides...

Cheers

Shan said...

Amel: Indeed. I've begun fearing the day I die already and I can't understand how people want to take their lives. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the technology to allow those who want to die to transfer there years to the ones who want to live? ... Pretty freaky though. P.S. I have like... no tips, I'm a sad piece of shit right now. Everytime I think of work, I start dreading...

Zhu: Haha, me too, me too.

V: Point taken my Martian friend :)
I'm just afraid if I try to convince someone to live, they'll take me with them... Thinking logically isn't the best in all situations is it... Just like a first date, it fails because everyone tries to make it perfect.

Hello Max: :P So official :P
Yes, suicide is unnecessary. I wish I could live longer...

Jeff said...

Unfortunately, we can only explore your concept with movies and perhaps divine intervention at the individual level.

"Atta boy, Clarence!"
--George Bailey (from It's a Wonderful Life)