Thursday, January 22, 2009

Random Thoughts

mmm I've neglected my blog over the past weeks and months. I've certainly neglected the people who take out time and read it. What can I say except that I've grown lazy due to a number of reasons. It's a shame but my original source of motivation for posting have gradually disappeared. But the blog has always represented what I felt at certain times of my life and I'm positive one day I'll be renewed and refreshed enough to revamp it... For now, it'll be posted with thoughts here and there...

Good news... after years of hard work (or so I believe), I managed to obtain offers from two of Australia's most important (and prestigious) government agencies for their graduate programs in 2009. After careful thought, I have decided to take up the offer with the agency in Eastern Australia, or Canberra more specifically. The program is highly intensive and will run for one year, after which I will receive a permanent position. If you would recall, one of my earlier posts (very early) said I'll be posting something big. This is it. I think I consider myself very lucky. Being able to secure a position so soon after graduating without long periods of waiting and agony... Nothing much else to say except that I'll be working to the best of my abilities and striving to succeed.

However, this wasn't why I want to make a post. What I really wanted to say in this post is that how lame it is for life is to be measured by our material achievements. As a young individual, we are measured by how well we do at school, how well we do at university (and other places) as well as the prestigiousness of our first employer. Growing older, we are measured by our income and our possessions whether it be car or houses. Whether we grow up to be rich or poor, successful or a failure, we are always measured by our material achievements. Often many of us do not realise this and actually try to compete with others on this scale. I find this crude and pathetic.. to an extent.

Well I realise this and I find this pathetic and sad. Nonetheless, a part of me cannot disregard a feeling of contempt and disdain for those who are less. I guess that's very much of what it is being a human. We are animals. Yet we are perhaps, to the extent of our scientific knowledge, evolved animals. Surely we must have something more to strive for than wealth and children.

I recently read an interesting book that summarised how I felt very succintly in the space of one page. I wish I could remember the words. Perhaps this path of thought is leading me to seek spiritual contentment but I've rarely being one who fervently believed in religion.

Nonetheless, forward we as a race go and forward as an individual I go. To a new life and perhaps something more worthwhile....

To all, I hope everyone had a wonderful new year. Best wishes in finding what you want in this life.

Shan

5 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, CONGRATS on the job front! It IS very good that you can get a permanent position so quickly! ;-D

And when it comes to wealth...well, when I die, I'd just love to know that my life was worth living and that I've made some difference in other people's lives. Or fulfill my destiny or calling? Whatever you call it hi hi hi...

Success hmmm...this is what Albert Einstein said, "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

I've always loved this quotation of success:

"To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded."

Shan said...

That is a wonderful reply. You can always put across your thoughts so eloquently. I thank you for your compliments.

And the quote is definitely refreshing!

Best wishes for 2009 Amel!

Max said...

Hey Shan,

Happy New year!!!

Congratulations, man!!! I knew you would make it :D!
I agree with you: the way we are measured by our success or failure, by our material things or lack of it, is absolutely ridiculous for we are so much more than that *nodding*.

You don't have to believe in religion (which many times preaches one thing but its members do the opposite) but search for any form of spirituality (which is always rewarding).

Congratulations, once again for your achievement; I think I speak for all those who know you when I say that we are proud of you!

I wish you all the happiness in the world!
Soon we will read that you are about to get married :D!

Cheers

Zhu said...

Lucky you! Sounds cool professionally.

I wish I had a job lined up for when I come back from traveling...

Deadpoolite said...

As far as blogging is concerned it is just an after time that has its rightful place in our lives in a cool "secondary" kinda of way. So no point in feeling regret about anything regarding it. It is fun not obligation and apparently we all have our lives to live outside this virtual world. Good to know you are well and doing fine in the career front.

As for the 'material things' part of your post, I am well past the phase in life that I was philosophizing about it. Truth be told, material achievements serve their purpose but to what extent they define who we are is up to us and our choices. Feel content in the thought that by thinking about it, you show that you care about things like that, and that is always good.

I wish you all the best for the new year, albeit late, and keep up the good posting whenever that may be.

Later dude!